Saturday, July 19, 2008

my standards, my responsibility!

today was a very interesting day and worth dissecting to understand what the hell went wrong, because something went wrong and i screwed up...

starting last night, we had 2 presentations to do, channel management and imc ad campaign against eve teasing. I was the head of the agency making the eve teasing campaign with a team of 17 people.

Now, we started with the IMC work as we started brainstorming at around at 10 and I called the team and we started discussing. We spent a long time in understanding what the problem was. I asked the creative team to keep thinking simultaneously and once the client servicing team did their job which did to take them more than an hour, account planning and creative was a whole night's job!!!

Man!!we worked till early morning and i could not take it after the video shoot at 530 in the morning and that's when i decided to go and sleep for some time before the presentations.

In this while, I did not contribute to making the channel management ppt but saw it and it would have been okay if someone presented it...but....i woke up at 1030 in the morning..and i was shocked...i hated myself for missing the presentations for channel management...and not being there to finish the IMC work till the end because i was the leader of the team and it was my responsibility.

the mail said:

Guys,

I am resigning as the leader of this group. I do not think I deserve to be.

I felt that i did not deserve it and i will not take it. I am not exactly unhappy with what i did because I will not take what i deserve. However, I could handle the role well by assigning team responsibilities and delegating work, something that I did not plan probably because no one had any idea how we would go about it.

But as per me....a leader must

see to it that the task is finished to the end
he must support the team
provide direction
Maintain order

These are the first responsibilities and cannot be traded for. I will conduct a proper survey to find out what leadership means to people.

Another mail is sent to my channel management team apologizing and expressing embarrassment. It was embarrassing and shows irresponsibility and this is something i never expect from myself.

My standards, my responsibility. I can say my room mates did not wake me up but they are not responsible, it's me.

By the way, I landed in time for IMC and we won!! WOw, however, i found it hard to enjoy that all through the day...because of what happened in the morning. It will never ever happen again.

By the way, had a great time after coming back, met some new people and went out to a lounge-buddha lounge and had fun..spent about 100 Durhams...imagine...

by the way...have slept for only 4-5 hours in 30 hours...so going to sleep now...

the gist is I see myself as a leader and it is immense responsibility. I need to understand what do people think is a leader and how can I lead better? Today was a learning day for me and I will always stand by what i learnt...

sleeping now..

No comments: