Friday, September 12, 2008

Anand, the Shobna boy

I dedicate this post to Anand, the 18 year old lad who serves food day and night in the neighbourhod restaurant, Shobna.

He arrives at 7 in the morning and spends the rest of the day in this tiny restaurant serving every customer with a smile. Would not he choose a better life if one was available to him? He certainly would. Somehow, his smile makes me question it?

There was anoter boy in the Singapore Canteen, he used to arrive at 7 again in the morning and would wash dishes, clean the place, all with a smile.

I feel bad for them, I wish they had better opportunities available and they could lead a better life. Wishing does not serve any purpose, does it???

I recently read the book, "Bottom of the pyramid" by the most influential thinker of 2007, C K Prahalad. He talks about the market available at the bottom of the pyradmid which translates to 4 billion people.

I want to do something for the anands of this world and only pray that i get an opportunity and I promise, when the opportunity presents itself, I will catch it.

No comments: