Friday, March 25, 2011

The emotion of Fear!

The emotion driving the majority of the emotion race is FEAR. It's fear which makes so many of us lead the kind of lives we lead. Fears like:

What will happen if I lose my job?

This fear keeps us in jobs we don't like. This fear makes us miserable everyday because we are doing something we are not quite born to do. What a pity! Job is tied to money and we need the money it brings. So, if I lose the job, I will have no money.

This fear stops us from trying to make money with something that we are really born to do. Trying to make a living doing someone we love-which takes time and we end up taking the short term approach and accepting a job which just does not match who we are.

What will happen if he/she leaves me?

Crazy creatures we are as human beings. We are so freaking insecure. The point is if someone wants to leave our company, they should leave our company. Why should people be made to stay in dead relationships. A relationship is dead when love dies on either side. And it does die. Something happens and it's over.


What if I fail at what I really want to become?

Now, some of us (when I say us, I am generally addressing us humans) do manage the guts to break free. When there is a chance that we might fail. Failure is giving up. If we fail in trying to achieve our destiny, we will die struggling to achieve our destiny. That's better than dying everyday doing things we don't want to do without realizing who are really are and what on earth we were put on earth to do.

What if I die?

There is a woman called Aruna Shaunbaug. She was a nurse in a hospital in her 20s. She was assaulted and raped by a ward boy. Since that day, she has been in a bed like a vegetable. One of the most unfortunate stories of contemporary India. That was 1973. This is 2011. She has been alive as a vegetable. An application was recently filed for euthanasia and Supreme Court delivered a confused judgement. My point is that she has stayed alive like a vegetable for 37 years! People die when they are supposed to.

These are just some of our fears- the major ones driving us mad.

I am guilty of being scared.
I am guilty of not quite having enough courage
I am guilty of not breaking free.

Till I do become a fearless man.

No comments: