Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I do not believe in Free Will

I choose hereby my opinion and conviction on this subject from the belief of two of the greatest men human civilization has had.


Let us not forget that knowledge and skills alone cannot lead humanity to a happy and dignified life.... I claim credit for nothing.


Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect as well as the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper." - Albert Einstein


Albert Einstein

I do not believe in free will. Schopenhauer's words: 'Man can do what he wants, but he cannot will what he wants,' accompany me in all situations throughout my life and reconcile me with the actions of others, even if they are rather painful to me. This awareness (not perception) of the lack of free will keeps me from taking myself and my fellow men too seriously as acting and deciding individuals, and from losing my temper.


"I do not at all believe in human freedom in the philosophical sense…. Schopenhauer’s saying, ‘A man can do what he wants, but not will what he wants,’ has been a very real inspiration to me since my youth; it has been a continual consolation in the face of life’s hardships, my own and others’, and an unfailing wellspring of tolerance. This realization mercifully mitigates the easily paralyzing sense of responsibility and prevents us from taking ourselves and other people too seriously; it is conducive to a view of life which, in part, gives humor its due." 

— Albert Einstein (The World As I See It)

Einstein wrote, "In God's eyes, man cannot be responsible for his actions any more than an inanimate object is responsible for the motion it undergoes."





Abraham Lincoln


The Almighty has his own purposes. “The human mind,” Lincoln wrote, “is impelled to action, or held in rest by some power, over which the mind itself has no control.” Our choices thus are predetermined though we may appear to be making them consciously. (the illusion of free will)


Reference Material
http://callmeamar.blogspot.com/2011/06/everything-is-predetermined.html
http://callmeamar.blogspot.com/2011/06/einsteins-credo.html

The illusion of free will is essential to rational decision making. Accepted. But it does not change the fact that free will is an illusion.

                                                                                                                                                            Amar

No comments: